Sunday, June 13, 2010

Pancakes with a Mandarin Orange Reduction Sauce

I woke up this morning with Mandarin oranges on my mind (yes I'm strange). Becky had called out to everyone that pancakes were cooking and to get up or eat them cold. She had told me last night that she was going to fix pancakes for breakfast, and is often the case, they were the 'normal' variety that you put sugar or syrup on.

Not being normal, I guess, is what caused my creative side to emerge from the cobwebs of sleep and inspired this morning's breakfast variation. Mandarin oranges are a staple in our house, and many time the kids will open up a can and eat them one by one. Oranges in general are also high in vitamin C and with several kids down with colds this seemed like a fun way to incorporate today's secret ingredient (I guess I watch too many cooking shows).

I have to thank a good friend, Lisa Luke with DoTerra Essential Oils, for giving me the Wild Orange Oil I used. If you don't have any, you can use an orange extract, orange zest or just omit, but for the health benefits and fullness of flavor, I do recommend finding some food grade essential oil.

Pancakes with a Mandarin Orange Reduction and a Wild Orange Cream

Make your favorite pancake mix or waffles according to package directions.

Mandarin Orange Reduction Sauce:
2 (11 oz) cans of Mandarin Oranges (including juice)
1 (11 oz) can of Mandarin Oranges, drained and set aside
5 drops DoTerra Wild Orange Essential Oil
1/8 tsp Nutmeg
1/8 tsp All Spice
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
2 Tbsp Agave Nectar (you can substitute honey or sugar)

Combine all ingredients (except 1 can of oranges) in medium sauce pan and boil on med-high heat until reduced to a syrup (about 7-10 minutes). Add remaining can of oranges. Chill and reserve.

Wild Orange Cream:
2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
8 drops DoTerra Wild Orange Essential Oil
1 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp Splenda (or Powdered Sugar for non diabetics)

Whip until peaks form.

Ladle Mandarin Orange Sauce over Pancakes and top with Wild Orange Cream for a delicious morning breakfast. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment