Saturday, June 12, 2010

Warm Panko Chicken Salad with a Sesame Vinegrette


As is often the case I started out with the idea to make one thing and ended up making something completely different. I believe that one must experiment and take risks in order to become a good cook. Learn by trial and by example about what ingredients go together, and quite frankly, what doesn't. Proverbs teaches us that through wisdom is a house [built], and by understanding is it established: And by knowledge shall chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches [foods] (not an exact quote).

A friend yesterday told me that she loved the recipes I keep publishing but she has not yet tried any of them because she often didn't have one or another ingredient for that days recipe. Many of my recipes started out as someone else's but ended up as mine. Not because I prepared them, but because I was missing an ingredient or two or just wanted to add this or take away that ingredient. Too be fair, I did attend culinary school, apprenticed at a major hotel and did run my own catering company for over ten years, which has give me a lot of intuition and experience. I also love to watch cooking programs and I read cook books for fun. But I've also made mistakes (as my wife can attest) and have made some things that even our dog wouldn't eat.

Today's recipe turned out quite good, excellent in fact if you ask my opinion and is one that I'll make again. I especially liked the dressing and will use this for other salads. I believe this is probably best Asian Sesame Dressing I've ever tasted and it is all natural without any MSG, Corn Syrup, stabilizers, or other questionable or un-pronounceable ingredients. Feel free to experiment with the ingredients (especially with the salad). Add sliced red onions if you like them. Take out the mushrooms if you want. The point is have fun and enjoy the journey as well as the destination.

Warm Panko Chicken Salad with Sesame Vinaigrette
Serves 8-12 hungry people

Chicken:
5-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, washed and dried
Panko Breading (Japanese breadcrumbs, if you don't have these you can use any breadcrumbs you want but I would recommend keeping this versatile ingredient on hand as a staple ingredient)
Oil for cooking

Coat the chicken with the Panko and deep fry until golden brown and cooked through. Drain, slice thinly on a bias. Add to finished salad and toss with dressing when ready to serve.

Salad:
1/2 lb fresh baby spinach
1 lb pre-made garden salad blend
1 head romaine lettuce
3-4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced thinly on a bias (diagonal)
1 red, 1 yellow sweet bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 lbs baby portabello mushrooms (or favorite variety)
2 stalks celery, sliced
1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
1 can mandarin oranges, drained

Dressing:
2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp lime juice (the juice from one lime)
1 Tbsp candied ginger
1/4 cup agave syrup (or honey)
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp sesame seeds
2 tsp garlic, minced
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 Tbsp sesame oil
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Combine sesame oil and olive oil and set aside

In a food processor (or blender), combine all ingredients except the oil. Using the puree blade and on low speed, mix all ingredients, slowly drizzling oil while blending. Can be made in advance and kept refrigerated. You may need to shake if the dressing separates (this is normal). Dressing may be kept for several weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment