Sunday, May 16, 2010

Weekly Menu Themes


One of the presents I got my wife for Mother's Day this year was a cookbook. Becky is a good cook when she has to be, but her biggest problem is knowing what to fix. While shopping this year for her present, I came across the book, "Family Dinner Cookbook" by Debbie G Harman. The subtitle is what caught my attention. 'More than 400 Simple & Delicious Recipes for Every Day of the Week.' Becky has occasionally joked about adopting the cooking style of her Grandmother. Monday was meatloaf, Tuesday was Spaghetti, Wednesday was ... you get the idea.

I on the other hand love variety and spontaneity in my cooking. I will sometime got to the store for the ingredients to one dish and come home and prepare something completely different. And even if I have a recipe, I rarely make what was printed, putting my own twist on the idea. I thrive in chaos, Becky needs order. So when I read whole title, I was intrigued. After looking through the chapter titles and glancing at some of the variety in the recipes, I bought the book.

The concept of the book is that each day of the week is devoted to one theme making it easier to plan a meal around each of these themes. I especially liked the first chapter, "Let's Do Desserts", because I have always loved the idea that life is short, so eat dessert. In helping Becky plan her menus, I have adopted the concept (but with a few changes here and there). I'll probably vary from this (maybe even this week). But it's a start. Here are are themes.

Weekly Menu Themes

Monday: Pasta's and Rice

Tuesday: International Cooking

Wednesday: Casseroles

Thursday: Crockpot Meals

Friday: Soups & Salads

Saturday: Family Fun Foods

Sunday: Dinner around the Table




No comments:

Post a Comment